All Sales Final/
All sales of these limited-edition pieces are final.
Created at the instigation of the glassmaker Paul Daum by the Glassworks Union to ensure the future of this industry by training a quality workforce, the Croismare apprenticeship centre was designed to accommodate young people in boarding schools who were following a practical course at the former Muller factory, located nearby.
In 1937, encouraged by new measures taken by the French Government in favor of holidays for the working classes, JEAN PROUVÉ boldly launched himself into the market of small, prefabricated leisure constructions, lightweight and movable. Thus ensued numerous architectural projects such as the BCC demountable house (1941), the 6x6, 6x9 and 8x8 demountable houses (1944), the Croismare training centre (1948), the Bouqueval school (1950), and the Better Days house (1956).
Thanks to their adaptability and their creator’s powers of anticipation, Jean Prouvé’s buildings and architectural elements, which were mostly designed to be temporary, mobile or modular, are just as relevant today as models of sustainable building.
The creation of the Croismare training centre, whose school is partially reconstructed for DesignMiami/ Basel, was instigated by glassmaker Paul Daum and carried out by the Glassmakers’ Union in order to ensure the future of the industry by training a quality workforce.
This building is the most imposing central portal frame realisation ever produced by the Ateliers Jean Prouvé.
The 255m2 (2745 sq. ft.) building numbers seven central portal frames, over 3 meters high, and two external walkways that derive their elegance from the slenderness of the tubular portal frames. The facade panels, solid or glazed, give rhythm and contrast. The monumental entrance canopy in folded sheet steel is an autonomous module supported by two struts, key elements in Prouvé’s work.
The Croismare school is one of the finest examples of Jean Prouvé’s constructive thinking and unites in a single project
all the fundamental principles of his buildings.
32×8m / 105×26’3 ft