Taking part in a Ministry of Education competition in 1949, Jean Prouvé conceived an industrializable and mass-producible rural school. He saw this brief as a chance to engage in the mass production of inexpensive buildings with a wide range of applications. In 1950, he was commissioned by the state to produce two prototypes, one in Bouqueval outside Paris and the other at Vantoux near Metz. Despite the success of the demonstration, these two schools were to be the only examples of the substantial series so hoped for by Jean Prouvé.
In 2016, Galerie Patrick Seguin commissioned the studios of Jean Nouvel and HW Architecture to adapt this building. Conceived in harmony with the existing materials, the adaptation gives us a full appreciation of the characteristics from the Prouvé structural system.