This hand-carved wood sculpture was created by Jan de Swart in 1972. Alongside other biblically themed sculptures, it was exhibited in Jan De Swart: New Works, 1973-1976, mounted at the Palos Verdes Community Center Gallery in Palos Verdes, CA, in 1976.
According to the Jan De Swart: New Works, 1973-1976 exhibition catalog: "This collection of sculpture is a playful preoccupation with fantasies and allegories starting with Adam and Eve and following the course of the apple. Adam and Eve in Eden. Salome and John the Baptist in Heaven. Cain and Abel in Hell. The empty Ark, an enigma in Limbo..."
Born in the Netherlands, De Swart (1908–1987) moved to the US in 1928. As a sculptor based in LA, he played a key role in developing modernist aesthetics in the postwar era, particularly through the vanguard magazine Arts & Architecture.