Alvar Aalto Angel Wing lamp $20,000>
Gokelaere & Robinson

The question of light always had a predominant place in Alvar Aalto’s approach to architecture and design. In Finland, as in all Nordic countries, the use of natural lights is very restricted for a good part of the year and daylight needs to be replaced. The Angel wing lamp was firstly designed in 1954 for the National Pensions Institute in Helsinki. The hand-riveted shade is composed by white lacquered metal strips forming the shape of a wing, hence its name. When lit, the Angel Wing emphasizes its cascading shade while providing both direct and indirect light.


DESIGNER/

Alvar Aalto

DATE

1954

MATERIALS

Rosewood, leather with patina

DIMENSIONS

170 cm

STYLE

Historic

 

HERITAGE

Finland

SHIPS FROM

Brussels

$20,000

This item has been viewed 50 times