Design at Large/
LAFFANOUR-Galerie Downtown presents Total Gaz Station by Jean Prouvé
Presenting a Jean Prouvé Gaz Station: Following the studies carried out by Jean Prouvé, within the CIMT (Compagnie Industrielle de Matériel de Transport), since 1958, the creation of his Total petrol stations takes up some of his innovative architectural principles. Indeed, with the 'Maisons des jours meilleurs' for Abbé Pierre, around 1956, then the Nobel Tower, at La Défense, from 1964, Jean Prouvé continued his research on the development of structures with a central load-bearing core. Implemented in 1944 with the axial porticos for the demountable houses of the Sinistrés d'Alsace-Lorraine, this principle of central core construction was developed for various projects throughout the 1950s and 1960s (Maisons Métropoles in Meudon, Maisons Tropicales in Brazzaville ....). The new construction structures designed by Jean Prouvé, upon his arrival at the CIMT design office, presented a lighter architecture, in line with the research into new forms and construction materials. The circular petrol stations are built with a ground floor and sometimes with a raised floor. This light structure rests on a central load-bearing core, through which the electrical conduits of the entire building also run. On the front of the station, fixed in the structure, are sunshades which appear as canopies. This construction method will also be used for the construction of a semi-circular house belonging to a collaborator of Jean Prouvé.